Saturday, September 13, 2014

The Process of Painting Imperatus

Retribution has a "game-changing" warjack!  I finished him back in July, and have been enjoying the carnage that he brings to the table ever since.


Really pleased with this one, WIP after the jump!

The necessary "here he is unpainted" photo.


 AND PRIMED!?


I used the same method on this one as I did with Hyperion, and once again got so completely in the zone that I forgot to take pictures of him pre-weathered. Your job is to use your imagination and pretend he is pristine white and glorious in this photo.


The shoulderpads were some of the best cast resin pieces I have worked with (with the exception of a tough to remove bubble right near the overhang).  And the detail is incredibly crisp.  Absolutely loved painting them.  And if you don't want them to fall off, score the shoulder where they are going to attach, get lots of raw surface area.


So angry.  So deadly.


Comparison shot with the first Phoenix I painted.  The difference in tone that the grey undercoat offers is noticeable immediately.  It really darkens the mood and offers shading that I don't have the patience to accomplish without an airbrush.

No comments:

Post a Comment