Friday, September 16, 2016

Field Medic 01 - Houseguard Riflemen

Welcome to the first in a sporadic and ongoing series!

This is Field Medic: a series in which I'll take a look at minis I've stripped and repainted, with "before and after" photos.  A basic process will be included, but I'm sure you can get the idea from the pictures.  Have I been exposed to an unhealthy amount of HGTV?  It's possible.

*Logo subject to change


Our first look in this format is a unit of Retribution Houseguard Riflemen.  I picked these up secondhand just before the plastic sculpts were released.  No real preference, at the time I had a need for a stealth response, and these guys fit the bill.


Christmas in July?

As you can see, their previous owner primed in a "Plastic Army Man Green," and filled in a few details with a candy red.  While perfect for a Secret Santa exchange, these gunners did not mesh well with the rest of my army.

Two bare metal soldiers standing guard.

Into the bath!  The toxic soup that appears in all my "stripped and repainted" posts is Simple Green All-Purpose Cleaner.  This cleaner has done a better job of anything else I've worked with to strip the paint from models.  I use a full concentration, poured directly into the container.  The models soak for several hours, up to a few days at a time.  They require a bit of scrubbing under running water, especially to loosen paint from crevices.


Metal once more.  \m/

Once scrubbed, the models should be down to their bare metal (or plastic) state and ready for priming.  Even after soaking and scrubbing, some paint may remain in the cracks.  I often choose to leave minuscule amounts, as long as no details are obscured.  Call it lazy, but the final results look  just fine.





The finished products.  My Retribution army is done up in the studio scheme, and the only significant change to technique on this unit was to prime in grey before giving them a light white overspray (similar to what I did with my Hyperion a while back).

Thanks for viewing, and look for more Field Medic articles in the future!

No comments:

Post a Comment