Monday, June 23, 2014

Kickstarter Elara and Hunter's Mark on a Stick

Just a pair of Retribution solos I'm happy with.  Both of these ladies find themselves supporting my Garryth list, freeing up focus and extending threat ranges.  First up is the Kickstarter Elara model.


I was lazy in getting this one painted up.  She was a pain to assemble, especially the left arm, which is in two pieces and has tiny joints.  The end result was worth it, as she looks better on the table than in any of the preview pictures I've seen.


Somehow, I didn't notice a potential piece of flash until I had primed and finished several layers.  So we'll just say she has an extra piece of thigh armor.


Lanyssa Ryssyll has great artwork, and the studio scheme doesn't quite match up.  I went for a darker look, as befitting a sorceress.  In addition, she's a Nyss, so she's got to have blue skin!  This was a very quick paintjob, as drybrushing is a feather's best friend.  The blue skin was easy enough, just several thin layers, starting with a dark midnight blue, and adding lighter tones (and some grey!) as I built up from the shadows.



I hesitated on this model for a while, as I wasn't sure how to approach the cloak of raven feathers.  Sure, it would be easy to give it a grey drybrush and call it a day, but ravens tend to have a bluish iridescence when seen in sunlight.  To achieve this effect, I gave the cloak a dark grey drybrush layer, followed by a dark blue wash.  This was then highlighted with a very slightly brighter blue, and a slightly brighter wash.  It sort of shows up in the photo, but on the table it has the desired effect.

No comments:

Post a Comment